How can you tell if you have a vaginal yeast infection?
When you have a vaginal yeast infection, you may have one or more of the following symptoms: vaginal itching, vaginal discharge that may be thick, white and lumpy like cottage cheese, vaginal soreness, irritation or burning, rash or redness on the skin outside the vagina (vulva), burning upon urination, and painful vaginal intercourse (sex).
Don't just soothe it, get rid of it!
If you think you have a yeast infection, you want something that not only soothes its symptoms but that also cures the infection. You want MONISTAT®. Because unlike products that only treat the symptoms of a yeast infection, MONISTAT® cures the infection and relieves the symptoms of itching, burning and irritation. Most likely it's what your mom used (and could still use) to treat her yeast infections. So go ahead and reach for MONISTAT®. Chances are it's what your friends are reaching for too.
How to Prevent a Yeast Infection
There are some simple things that are associated with helping to reduce the risk of a yeast infection. Read about them in our What's Up Down There? section of the site. And remember, if this is your first yeast infection, you should talk with your doctor. There are some basic questions below that will help you start the discussion.
Teens & Yeast Infection Questions
Take this list of questions about yeast infections with you when you visit your doctor.
- Are there symptoms that are common for a yeast infection other than what I have? Could these symptoms mean anything else?
- Is this like an STD? Can you give it to someone else?
- What causes a vaginal yeast infection?
- Do I have any health conditions that may increase my risk of contracting a yeast infection?
- How do you usually treat a yeast infection in someone my age?
- If I do have a yeast infection, would a MONISTAT®1-, 3- or 7-day treatment be more appropriate for me?
- Will my treatment interact with any over-the-counter (OTC) or prescription medications I'm taking?
- Once I start using a treatment, how long will it take before I feel relief? How long before I am cured of my yeast infection? What are my alternatives?
- If I get another yeast infection, is it all right to treat myself with an OTC product such as MONISTAT®?