Three of the largest national health plans,* plus leading regional plans, now recommend OTC miconazole (MONISTAT®) before Rx fluconazole.† Help patients understand your OTC recommendation:
If your patient thinks an Rx pill will work faster, let her know...
- OTC miconazole (MONISTAT®) relieves symptoms 4x faster—often within 4 hours.‡ The Rx fluconazole pill may take 16 to 24 hours before symptom relief starts
- Both treatments take the same amount of time to completely cure an infection: 7 days
If your patient thinks an Rx pill will be more effective, let her know...
- MONISTAT® treats 5 out of 5 of the most common types of yeast. Fluconazole treats only 3 out of the 516,18
- MONISTAT® products are prescription-strength treatments
If your patient is pregnant or trying to conceive, let her know...
- Even a single 150 mg fluconazole pill may increase the risk of miscarriage significantly7
- According to the CDC, pregnant women should use only a 7-day topical treatment, like MONISTAT® 7. They should not take fluconazole2
- The FDA advises women who are pregnant or trying to conceive to discuss alternatives to fluconazole with their healthcare professionals8
If your patient has diabetes, let her know…
- Fluconazole does not treat a type of yeast common in women with diabetes (C. glabrata), but MONISTAT® does9,10,16
- Fluconazole may increase the risk of serious hypoglycemic episodes in women taking common antidiabetes drugs (sulfonylureas)11-13
Support your patients—and reinforce your OTC recommendation.
Order high-value MONISTAT® coupons and free samples.
*By number of members
†Most over-the-counter products are not covered by health plans.
‡Based on a clinical study with MONISTAT® 1 Combination Pack Ovule® treatment vs fluconazole §Based on a patient experience trial in which 5,968 healthcare professionals dispensed 19,386 MONISTAT® product samples. 317 patients provided feedback on the product